Thursday, December 11, 2008

you've got the cutest little baby face...


Meet Tavish and Lyra. Born eight days apart, these are my new favorite baby faces.

Tavish is my new son who makes the petals of my heart fall open more and more each day. He was born in water in our living room and when he took his first breath, gratitude rippled from the very center of me out into the far reaches of the Universe. He keeps me up nights and has a way of crying in the evenings that would make even the most sane person ask for a lobotomy. But he is more delightful every day and is coming into himself quite smilingly. I had no idea he was such a Good Time Charlie until I saw this picture. I am so happy to see him with new eyes.

If the Buddha and Aretha Franklin had a love child, she would look just like Lyra. She is equal parts soul and sass. She is mop-it-up-with-a-biscuit delicious and so beautiful you almost don't want to touch her. There are no pictures that can do this child justice because you just gotta see her in 3-D to know what I mean when I tell you she can look right into your soul with just one glance. She is powerful and soft and real and I fall more in love with her every time I see her.

Truth be told, we have a love affair goin' on in our house with Lyra and everyone in her family. Caleb can't stop talking about Lyra's brothers, Jack and Josiah (whom he calls, "Jo-hide-uh"), and I swear that Lyra's sparkly, saucy sister, Lucy, and I tore it up together in a past life. Not to mention the people who made these children. They have a love affair we should all aspire to and a way of being in the world that just gives a person hope. When you're around Patience and Jorge, you know for sure that goodness still exists in the world in abundance and that surely kindness and goodwill will win out over evil every time, no matter how you toss the dice.

I can't stop looking at pictures of Tavish and Lyra this rainy winter day. I gaze at their round and new faces the way one might admire a summer garden heavy with blooms and melons, bees happily lighting upon the blushing tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment